Wednesday, August 31, 2005

New rear brakes for the Passat.

Well after 53,000 miles (see Post below) the Passat is ready for some new rear brakes. I checked prices for OEM (VW) parts, and the rotors were $162 and the bads were $65 for a parts total of $227. Well, out of curiosity (actually because I wanted better parts) I checked the aftermarket to see what was available for my car. I found some very interesting parts, as well as prices. Tirerack offers Brembo rotors for my car. They are OEM size so they are meant for the stock caliper. The official name is Brembo Sport Slotted rotors (see http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Brembo&model=Sport+Slotted+Rotor for information). They are (obviously) slotted rotors. Although many aftermarket brake kits offer cross-drilled (and some manufacturers as well), I have heard that slotted cool nearly as well and last longer too. We'll see. I also found upgraded pads as well from Hawk. They are the Hawk HPS High Performance Street brake pads (see http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Hawk&model=HPS+Street+brake+pads for more information). So, I added up the price and the total came to $231 and change (including 2 day shipping). So essentially I got superior performing parts for $4 more than the OEM components. The braking performance should be noticeably improved, and that will be accentuated when I need to replace the fronts and do so with the Brembo/Hawk combination there as well. I have been looking for, but unfortunately unable to find braided stainless steel brake lines, but I hope to do that as well. The brake lines added to the Brembo/Hawk combination I think should really improve on the performance of the stock brakes. I am getting them put on tomorrow and hope to be able to take some pictures of them installed before they put the wheels on. Hopefully more on this later...

No comments: