Thursday, September 22, 2005

8.8 @ 148.

So I have a new roommate. As I was walking my dog through my parking lot two days ago I noticed a new car in it. It was an older Mustang, somewhere in the 1995-1997 body style. As I was walking by, I first noticed that he had powder-coated (black) the stock three-spoke wheels. Then I noticed that it had been lowered quite a bit--there was almost no wheel gap. As I walked around it, I noticed the *biggest bottle of nitrous I've EVER seen in my entire life* in the back seat. It is (literally) larger than a SCUBA air tank. It is probably 15 inches in diameter and about 30-36 inches in length. The thing is a monster. So then I look a little more closely. I see the car has 275/40 BFG Drag Radial's (on the stock rims)...nice. Now, I'm really curious. I see four point harnesses on both the driver and passenger seat. However, when I look in the front, I do *not* see an intercooler, so I figure there is no turbo kit. Lastly, I look at the back and I notice that he has taken the (stock) spoiler off the trunk deck (very nice) and I see no exhaust coming out the rear--so I figure he has just a dump exhaust coming out the bottom of the engine, with no real exhaust pipes, let alone mufflers.

I finally put two and two together and realize this must be my new roommate's car. So last night I get the chance to ask him about it. He starts telling me a little bit about it, and I am *floored*. Here are some of the things I learned: forged pistons, three-plate clutch, equal-length headers, ignition, MAF, etc., etc. Then I learn two more incredible things: 116 octane race fuel and a 300 (!!!) shot of nitrous. I was flabbergasted. So he tells me he goes to an 1/8th mile track once a week and a quarter mile track once a month. He then tells me something that I still have a little difficulty believing, but here it goes: his best ET is 8.8 seconds (in the quarter) with a trap speed of 148. He said that was with a 300 shot of nitrous in first, second, third AND fourth gears. Finally he said he is having a motor built that he should have put in not too long from now. It is a 347 stroker motor with 11.0:1 compression pistons.

Anyways, I asked if I could go with him sometime and he said yes, so I am looking forward to that. It wasn't clear whether I can go and watch him race (which would be cool enough), or if I can ride shotgun with him (which would be ridiculous). I'll let you know more, when I know more...

No comments: