Thursday, December 02, 2010

Venom GT vs. Veyron SuperSport.

So, I sent this video



to a couple of my best friends this morning with the subject line, “Ridiculous.” I received a response from one of them asking if I had looked at the Venom GT website. Here is my response to him:

I have.

I would so, so, SO much rather have a Veyron Supersport. Here is why:

Venom GT w/ standard boost
2,685 lbs
725 hp
~ 3.7

Venom GT w/ high boost and 93 octane (which you can't get in: California, Oregon or Washington (at least)):
2,685 lbs
1000 hp
~2.7

Venom GT w/ high boost and 109 octane (which you'll never get except at a race track and you certainly won't use it everyday):
2,685 lbs
1,200 hp
~2.3

Veyron Supersport (pump fuel, warranty, *incredible* research and development, etc.):
4,044 lbs
1186 hp
~3.4

So the Veyron SS is already faster than the "standard" Venom GT. In addition, Hennessey claims the Venom GT will get to 200mph in 15.9 seconds (he also compares that number to the *stock* Veyron at 24.2 seconds). However, the Veyron SS will get to 186 mph in 14 seconds. How much longer will it take to get from 186 to 200 mph? Your guess is as good as mine, but I would guess not much (if any) more than 1.9 seconds. So now, we're at a dead heat to 200mph with the 109 octane Venom GT and pump fuel Veyron SS. Then if you think about how many tries it took to get the Venom GT to put down that time. I would guess dozens, at least. The Veyron SS will do it. All. Day. Long.

Plus, I am sure that the Veyron SS is faster to 60 mph, in the 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, and probably the 3/4 mile and possibly the 1 mile. So except for (maybe) something over 175 mph, which by the way, you're never going to do, the Veyron is faster.

Then, there is the whole issue of warranty. Bugatti has a four year warranty, that covers *everything*. If your car breaks down, they will take care of transportation, supply you with an Audi A8 and fix it under warranty. Damn impressive. Venom GT--no warranty that I'm aware of.

Finally there is the issue of handling/normal driving. I would bet quite a bit of money that the Veyron SS is faster around most tracks than the Venom GT. Who is going to [want to let alone] be able to drive a *rear wheel drive* car that weighs less than 2,700 pounds with 1,200 horsepower [and “only” 335s on the rear end] around a track at anything more than 7/10? No one? A professional driver? Certainly, no one that buys the car. On the other hand, I've heard nothing but high, high praise for the Veyron SS and how it handles (even better than the stock Veyron, which pulled 0.94-0.96 (depending on which magazine) on the skidpad, you'll recall). Are you EVER going to drive a Venom GT in the snow, let alone the rain? Absolutely not. I would have no problem driving the Veyron in the rain, and assuming I could find snow tires in the right sizes (which I'm sure I couldn't), I wouldn't have any problems driving it in the snow as well.

Plus, I hate John Hennessey.

My $0.02.


I left a few things out of the email. First, it is interesting that on his website, he claims he can get the 1,200 claimed horsepower out of 93 octane. However, in previous press releases, he has said the 1,200 is only going to happen on 109 octane.

Also, apparently, he’s pretty bad at math. According to the specifications page, the car has 1,200 horsepower and a curb weight of 2,685 pounds. This would equal a weight to power ratio of 2.2 lbs/hp or a power to weight ratio of 894 hp/ton. For some reason, Hennessey claims 2.6 lbs/hp and 767 hp/ton. If one assumes the curb weight is a given and the horsepower numbers are variables, then his power to weight numbers would reflect 1,029 horsepower. Any ideas? I don’t have any.

Lastly, and I touched on this point, it is simply an issue of traction. The two vehicles have essentially the same power output. The differences however, are as previously stated, the Veyron has AWD, whereas the Venom GT has RWD. And the Veyron has 265 fronts and 365(!) rears, whereas the Venom GT has 235 fronts and 335 rears. Will the Venom GT be fast in a straight line? Sure. Faster than a Veyron SS? I doubt it, but possibly over 175 or 200 mph. For everyday driving down the street, the Veyron will walk away from the Venom GT in almost every situation, The reason is because the Venom will be spinning its (rear only) tires, while the Veyron is getting its power down to (all four) of its (larger) tires.

1 comment:

General Na said...

I agree with everything you've said. However, what about at the track... With a proper race driver. I'd bet the lighter car would win. Take the Zonda F vs. Veyron on top gear. The Zonda was quite a bit faster. Would the same apply here? I'd like to see that showdown.