Tuesday, October 18, 2005

"Drivers (no longer) wanted?"

So, I have some pretty serious issues with VAG's restrictions on one's ability to build the new (B6) Passat to one's liking. My car (B5.5) came with: the four cylinder (1.8 liter turbocharged inline-four), manual transmission (5-speed), leather seating, Monsoon (premium) sound system. I can't build a comparable car on the new platform. I would *like* to build a B6 Passat with: the four cylinder (new 2.0 liter turbocharged inline-four), manual transmission (new 6-speed), leather seating, and the premium sound system. I can't. Here's how it goes. I try to bulid a "2.0T" model Passat. So far so good. Then I pick the exterior color I want. So far still so good. Then I pick leather interior. Here is where the problems start. It then requires me to pick a package ("Package #2") with a stereo with either the XM or Sirius option. In and of itself I am all right with this. If I had a choice, I don't want a $2,825 package with options I don't really want just to get leather interior. Then the problems really start. I choose the XM stereo option and then I am forced to agree to further options including leather interior (which is fine--it's what I want), the premium sound system (great--I always want that), AND the 6-speed *automatic* transmission (at an additional cost of $1,075). BIG problem. I don't want (and won't get) a car with an automatic. So, I try to get around it. I *settle* for leatherette interior (yuck), and move onward to options. Two more problems come up. I try and get the Cold Weather Package for $225. Seems simple enough. Nope. I then have to choose (again) between XM and Siruis (this time a $1,625 package). Again, I don't really want it (well, I don't want to pay for it anyway), but I'll get it if I have to in order to have heated seats and mirrors. Nope. Again I have to select a further package including the $1,075 automatic transmission. Dammit! Ok, so no Cold Weather Package. Let's at least have a pimp sound system to go with our leatherette seats. Nope. I click on the premium sound system option, and again I have to choose between Package #1 ($1,625 plus $1,075 for the automatic) or Package #2 ($2,825 plus $1,075 for the automatic). Either way I'm out a *minimum* of $2,700 and I have a freaking automatic. We can't have that. So essentially the only alternative I am left with is to get the "2.0T" model, manual transmission, leatherette (not leather) interior, and NO premium sound system. That's ridiculous. Volkswagen's catchphrase is supposed to be "Drivers Wanted." Well true drivers are going to want a manual transmission, nice seats and good tunes to listen to. That isn't that much to ask, and you can't get these things together on the B6 Passat.

Maybe you could go and ask your dealer to custom option one for you, but I don't know if they would be able to get you one they way you want or not. I would be surprised if you can get one the way I want. Very frustrating.

No comments: