Tuesday, October 18, 2005

I love station wagons...

Matt asked me this question:

"You've brought up Jettas and wagons within two posts, so this is more or less relevant: any idea whether VW will be producing a wagon for the 2006 redesigns of the Jetta and Passat? The VW website no longer shows a Passat wagon and the Jetta wagon is the 2005 body style."

Great questions; as (you probably know) that issue is close to my heart. As an aside, the *only* thing I would change (from the factory) about my Passat is if it could have been a wagon. It has all the options I want and the drivetrain I want, color, etc., but if it was exactly like it is, except in wagon style, it would be *money*.

Back to the question at hand--it is my understanding Volkswagen will be releasing the new Passat (B6) wagon next February (2006). That will be very cool. I have some issues as to Volkswagen's new restrictions as to building Passats to your liking, but I will address that in another post.

The question about Jetta wagons is a little more difficult. For a time Volkswagen would not commit to the statement that they were even going to make a (new) Jetta wagon (MkV). However, the latest news I have heard is that they *are* going to make a Jetta wagon. Well, yes and no. It might not be under the "Jetta" moniker. There are some issues with the required re-tooling at the factory in Mexico that makes the MkV Jetta. Apparently they have to switch it all up to make the wagon. So what they're thinking about doing, is making a wagon, but under a name other than Jetta and with different body-cladding. They are planning on putting the Haldex 4Motion feature on it, and making it a little farther up-market than the Jetta itself. However, nothing is set in stone as of yet, because whatever they choose to do, it will require (as discussed above) the retooling of the factory in Mexico. The rumors I've heard (read) are that it won't be at U.S. dealers until 2007 at the earliest, and possibly as late as 2008. Don't hold your breath...

No comments: