Monday, October 04, 2004

My (fairly) realistic dream car.

I will be talking alot about this in the future, but I thought I would give a quick introduction. I believe the next car I will buy will be a 1992-1997 Lexus SC300 with a 5-speed manual transmission. Stock, it is a great, classic-looking, dependable, mildly sporty, luxury coupe. I can (and will) drive it happily for some time completely stock. However, the plans for it consist mainly of an engine swap. The Toyota 2JZ-GTE is the engine from the 1993-1997 Toyota Supra Turbo. It, along with the 6-speed manual transmission will fit right into the SC300 with no engine mount modifications, as the stock SC300 engine is the 2JZ-GE (identical to the Supra Turbo's except without the twin turbos). I know of a company (in Florida, if memory serves), that will install a new Supra engine in your SC300 for $11,000. So, for less than $30,000 I could have a 320hp Lexus with a 6-speed manual. One of the best things about the 2JZ-GTE is the potential that it has. I just read an article last week about a 1076 WHEEL horsepower Supra (with the same engine). Needless to say, the engine is incredibly tuneable, and even better, incredibly dependable. With a handful of modifications, I believe I can see easily 450-500 (flywheel) horsepower with that engine and I believe keep it streetable and reliable. Don't worry, there are plenty more Posts to come about this idea/project.

No comments: